PSA: DON’T SET TRAPS!
Every year when outdoor season comes around, we end up talking about outdoor grow security and the subject of setting traps around your grow always comes up. Usually someone makes a joke about setting up a pit full of spikes or something like that and everyone has a little chuckle about it.
Well I am here to tell you… SETTING TRAPS IS A REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA! DON’T DO IT!
In my opinion this really isn’t something we should even joke about!
- Setting traps on your property is SUPER ILLEGAL! – Law enforcement views booby traps as ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON, and they will LOCK YOU UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY for that kind of shit. TRAPS ARE NOT CONSIDERED SELF DEFENSE!
- You can’t control who they will injure! – Yes I know you are trying to defend your crop from thieves, but have you considered the other people in the area who might get hurt too? A trap can’t tell the difference between a thief and an innocent person, it will inflict its damage either way. Its sure going to be awkward when your neighbors kid hops your fence looking for his baseball and ends up impaled in your pit full of spikes. NOT TO MENTION… THE MOST LIKELY PERSON TO GET HURT IS YOU!
- Traps DON’T WORK! or at least not like you planned… So lets say a thief falls into your spike pit or gets injured by one of your traps… NOW WHAT? Now you’ve got an injured person on your property and a whole new list of problems. You’ve hurt someone and they will probably need medical attention. This is VERY likely to bring COPS TO YOUR HOUSE! KILLING OR INJURING A THIEF GIVES YOU MORE PROBLEMS TO DEAL WITH, NOT LESS!
- EVEN TALKING ABOUT TRAPS MAKES THE HOME GROW COMMUNITY SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES! – We are trying to convince the rest of the world that we should be allowed to grow cannabis in peace. Setting traps in your yard sends the message that you care more about your plants than you care about your community and your neighbors. If we want people to take us seriously and stop treating us like criminals… we need to not act like criminals.
So how can I protect my grow?
- Keep it secret– If nobody knows, nobody can rob you.
- Put up fences/barriers– Make it hard for thieves to access your grow and your property.
- Motion sensor lights/ alarms– Will scare off most thieves.
- Get a loud/scary dog– an excellent way to keep people off your property!
- Use other plants– either as cover to hide the cannabis, or as a barrier/deterrent to keep people away.
- Know your neighbors!– People that know you and like you are a LOT less likely to steal from you. Make friends with your neighbors! I recommend growing some tomatoes or other veggies along side your cannabis, and sharing your harvest with the neighborhood. Even if a neighbor hates cannabis, they’re a lot less likely to hassle you (or rob you) if they think of you as the friendly local gardener who gives them free tomatoes.
- And many many more good options…
Also remember… at the end of the day its just a plant and you can always grow more.
Its better to get robbed and have your plants taken than it is to set traps and end up hurting someone or in jail!
so in conclusion….
TRAPS ARE A SUPER BAD IDEA! PLEASE DON’T DO IT! YOU WILL END UP REGRETTING IT!
I hear ya soup. Makes me think of liar liar when secretary says my friend had a thief fall through a sky light and hurt himself and he sued her. Jim Carey comments i woulda got him more money.
Also something to mention on the safety is traffic in and out of the grow space. Be seen only when you have to. Travel over ground that will not leave a trail. Duck under lots of branches when you can, walk on stones or rocks that leave no trace, and don’t step on rotten logs or muddy terrain that will leave footprints. Also the old suggestion of not keeping all your eggs in one basket at least with outdoors rings true.