The Captain has an entire ship of bilge rats, and only enough weed to go around. I’ve made canna oil no less than 30 times, tweaking it each time, and with some hints from “BadKittySmiles”, I’ve learned how to make the most potent, or let’s say, the most EFFECTIVE canna butter possible. Don’t comment and say, “Can I try doing this or that? Can I substitute this instead?” You can try whatever you want. But if you want the most potent and effective oil, follow the recipe.
1. 1/2 Cup Coconut oil, OR butter.
Use REFINED if you want to avoid a coconut taste or smell. Use UNREFINED if you don’t mind it. Either works just as well. The coconut oil you get should be solid (not liquid). It will melt at about 100 degrees. Again, any coconut oil will work, but look for a coconut oil that is high in MCT’s (Medium-chain triglycerides). You can get coconut oil at any health food store, and most grocery stores.
Look at the recipe you are making. For example, if you are making cookies that call for butter, then use butter. If you’re making brownies that call for vegetable oil, then use coconut oil. For any chocolate candies, you’ll want to use coconut oil.
Use coconut oil whenever possible. It pulls the medicine out of the product better, AND it delivers the medicine to your body better. It is better for you, and can even aid in weight loss!
2. 1/4oz Cannabis bud, OR 1oz frosty trim.
The better your product, the more potent your oil will turn out. Personally, I usually use 1oz of very frosty trim. If you don’t see trichomes on your leaves, they will not benefit your oil. Only use trim with trichomes on it. Here’s an example of Frosty trim.
3. 1 teaspoon Soy Lecithin granules (pronounced ‘leh-seh-thin’)
The soy lecithin is part of this recipe that takes your canna oil, from “good” to “Kick ass”. Don’t skip it. You can get this at any health food store.
Again, if you want the BEST effect, and the best use of your product, follow this recipe EXACTLY. If you cut corners, the effect will not be as strong. You’re using 1/4oz of herb; don’t waste it. If done correctly, this will be about 36, all day doses for an average smoker.
GROW BETTER BUDS IN 90 DAYS
FREE DGC Grow Tips Guide
- Decarb your herb: Decarboxylation is part of the natural aging process, and makes it much more potent.
- Pre-heat your oven to 215° F.
- Chop up your herb finely with scissors. Do not use a coffee grinder. Sprinkle evenly into a small glass pyrex or OVEN SAFE ceramic dish. Cover WELL with aluminum foil, crimping up around the edges. It is important it is sealed well. Use another layer of foil if needed.
- Place in oven at 215° F, for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the dish and let it cool, WITH the foil still on. Letting it cool down slowly, allows any vapors to settle back into the material.
- Add the oil or butter and heat: While you wait for the container to cool, Melt your coconut oil or butter in a pan on LOW heat. If using butter, clarify it by skimming the milk solids off the surface.Now Remove your foil lid from the herb pan. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin evenly over the surface of the decarbed herb. Then, pour the oil or butter over your herb. Mix it up, Cover with foil, and place back in the oven for 45 minutes at 215° F.
- After 45 minutes, remove from the oven (leave it on) and allow the dish to cool for 10 – 15 minutes. Once the temp has dropped and you can comfortably touch the dish, you’ll carefully open it, then press and mash the herb with the back of a spoon. This helps break down the trichomes into the oil, so it can soak up more medicine. Now, add another 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin and stir.
- Replace the foil lid, seal well, and put back in the oven for another 45 minutes. Then shut off the heat and let cool.
- When finished cooling, freeze it for at least 2 hours (longer is fine). Remove from freezer, allow to thaw to room temp (or the shock will break your dish), then place back in the oven for just long enough to liquefy and thin out the oil, for better straining.If you want extra “sleepy” oil, you can repeat the above heating and reheating process again.
- Strain the oil out of the herb: Strain the herb out of the oil by running it thru a mesh (not paper) coffee filter, cheese cloth, or similar. Use a spoon to press on the herb to help press the oil out of it.
Your oil is now ready to use!
Use 1/2 teaspoon of oil, in each “portion” you make. 1/2 cup of oil = 24 teaspoons (48 doses)
USING THE OIL IN YOUR RECIPE
If you want to make 12 cookies, and your recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter, use 6 teaspoons (1/8th cup) of canna oil, and make up the rest with regular butter (or regular vegetable oil).
Whatever the recipe, always work backwards. Determine how many “portions” there will be, then calculate so each “portion” has 1/2 teaspoon in it. Here are a few examples:
12 cookies: use 6 teaspoons (1/8 cup) oil
16 brownies: use 8 teaspoons (1/6 cup) oil
24 peanut butter cups: use 12 teaspoons (1/4 cup) oil
Doing it this way will make your edibles taste better, and for people with a higher tolerance, they can eat TWO.
People with a low tolerance should start with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon.
People with a high tolerance should start with 3/4-1 teaspoon.
It will take a good 45 minutes for the effects to kick in. If you eat a cookie, and after 30 minutes, don’t feel anything, don’t eat another one yet. Full effects are usually felt about 90 minutes after eating the oil. If, after 90 minutes, you still don’t feel the effects, THEN eat another portion.
Do not give more than 1/2 teaspoon to someone who is not a frequent smoker. It is not “cool” or “funny” to give someone an edible and then they get bent for hours. Do not leave edibles out for people (who are not experienced with edibles) to eat. It can make them very sick (spins, vomiting) for about 8 hours. Trust me, I know from experience.
If you skip the decarb process, the oil will not be as potent.
If you don’t use lecithin, the oil will not absorb as well into your body, and the effect will not be as strong.
The freezing process, helps the medicine bond to the oil better. Don’t skip this step.